Friday, September 20, 2013

New "hobby"?

So recently I've developed a new "hobby".  Why do I have quotes around the word "hobby"?  Well because I'm not sure you can call it a hobby but it is one in some ways.

I have recently been introduced to "Wet Shaving" with a double edge safety razor.  It's the old school shaving method that they used before the cartridge razor was invented.  It uses a nice solid razor with disposable double edge blades to cut with and a nice brush and soap to lather up your face with.

This is what I use to shave now!
Shaving as a hobby?  Really?  We yes, it is in some ways.  Its funny how since switching I look forward to shaving in the morning.  It may wear off eventually but I like refining the technique, the smell of the soap, the feel of the brush, and that manly feeling you get doing it the old fashioned way.  The draw of this type of shaving is actually really growing and there are a lot of communities online to share tips/techniques etc.  A lot of people go way overboard (in my opinion) with what they have coined "Acquisition disorder" where they basically collect the various razors, brushes, soaps to the point where they could never possibly use them all.  Because this type of shaving has been around for a long time it is fairly easy to find old razors that are still very usable with a new DE razor blade put in them.

So why did I get into this?  Well the biggest reason was that I was tired of the crazy cost of my Gillette cartridge razors.  I was using the Gillette Fusion Proglide which cost about $3-4 per cartridge.  That cartridge lasted me about 10 days before it dulled.  With the DE razor the blades coast about $0.14 each and although they only last about 3 days that is still significant savings.  I can shave for a year on about $15 for razors whereas before that $15 would last me about 2 months.  I may spend slightly more now on the shaving cream because I can't stand the stuff out of the can but even that is not much more.  For $6-7 I can get a tube of cream that will last me several months, and there are cheaper soaps/creams out there that I have not tried yet.

I've been shaving this way now for about 3 weeks now and it's still fun for me.  It takes a little longer in the morning but it's kinda relaxing now rather than just a chore to get done.  I even got an extra razor that I don't put a blade in so that Caleb can shave with me sometimes :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment